October 10, 2004

Day Six

Started Ulpan this morning in Alon Shvut and it was great. I’m really surprised at how excited and enthusiastic I am about being a student again, especially since we’re literally starting from scratch. I had to sit thru the aleph bet for about an hour today because the class is a blended mix of immigrants from all over the world with varying levels of Hebrew language skills. It’s going to be fun watching others around me develop and hopefully I will as well. All in all, five months from now I should be somewhat more adept at speaking the language here, which will be a huge relief. It’s really quite frustrating to be lacking the ability to speak to strangers in a country where everybody is one.


The classroom is situated up in the hills next to Bat Eiyen and the view is spectacular. I didn’t take a picture yet but I did manage to sneak one in the classroom.



After class, I tremped to Jerusalem and went to the AACI (Association of Americans and Canadians in Israel) to see what services they could offer. The nicest thing about my visit was being able to apply the newest word in my vocabulary, Savlanut – PATIENCE. I literally sat in the waiting room watching the blades of the ceiling fan swirl slowly around and around while the hands on the wall clock slowly made their way around two full rotations. All just to ask about insurance and bank accounts. A little piece of advice: Never leave home without a book, some food, and a phone. Hopefuly you already knew this.

That’s it for now. Peace.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>