October 10, 2004

Welcome Home

Even though I started this blog over a month ago, it feels like today is the true beginning of whatever is about to unfold. I’m finally here in the Land of Israel and my attempt at planting my roots starts now.

Just to recap the events of the past few days…… after an amazing final 12 hours in Chicago that included a rooftop party at 2650 and a farewell brunch at the ASBI succah, I said goodbye to the friends and city that made this past year so incredible.

Somehow I managed to sleep most of the journey to Tel Aviv so the entire trip seemed like only thirty minutes. I must say that it was the best flight of my life.


After dropping to kiss the holy soil, I made my way to the Offices of the Administrative Interior to obtain my initial three month visa, after which I had my passport stamped in the “foreign passport” line. It was at this point that I felt the nagging desire to become an Israeli citizen immediately. It’s a really weird feeling to have left my career, my family, my friends, my home in a city that I really loved to come live among my brothers and sisters in the land promised to my ancestors, yet still feel like an outsider. In the days since, this has become a recurring emotion that will likely bother me until I accomplish two things: Learn to speak Hebrew proficiently and declare aliyah. Right now, the plan is to stay here until June and then head back to the States for a little while, declare aliyah, grab my stuff out of storage, and then jump on the August ’05 Nefesh B’Nefesh flight back over here. Perhaps some of you will join me on that flight.

So anyway, my sister and her family picked me up at the airport with welcome signs, balloons, and hugs and kisses. It was pretty emotional and there may have even been a tear or two shed.



After piling into their van, we headed for their home in Efrat, which is in the Gush Etzion bloc on the West Bank of the Jordan River. Before reaching our final destination though, I got my first taste of participating in a mitzvah that can only be performed in Eretz Yisrael. We stopped at a major intersection which is a popular stopping point for soldiers traveling on their way to various posts, bases, and assignments. When the current war began, the communities around Efrat set up a rest area and café with free coffee and cakes for the soldiers. There’s even a nice kosher succah up for the soldiers to sit around and shmooze in. The whole project is run entirely for the soldiers and is staffed by volunteers from the neighborhood. Its even open 24/7. It’s really a beautiful thing. So anyway, my sister pulled out a cake that she baked that morning and we all went into the succah to wish a chag sameach and kol hakavod to the young chayailm. We left the cake and the guys were extremely appreciative. It was a really nice moment and a great way to start my life in The Land.



Later in the day we had a really nice BBQ in my sister’s succah which included burgers, dawgs, and yes, even chicken wings! It seems that I can’t stay away from those tasty little guys even if I try.

The next day (my first full day in Israel) we had to sit around until noon to wait for my luggage which did not arrive in Israel when I did. After getting everything back in my possession, we drove to Jerusalem to walk thru the Old City. Because the entire country is on Succot vacation, the streets and alleys were more crowded than I’ve ever seen. At the Kotel there must have been over three thousand people – at four in the afternoon. We davened mincha and then took my niece to the official Jerusalem community succah which was lit up by over 18,000 lights. There was food, live music, and a real festive atmosphere.

My family and I then separated for the evening and I went to a couple of shiurim at the Israel Center in honor of Leil Hoshana Raba. I heard two amazing Rabbi’s who left me feeling inspired and grateful to be here. I also walked away feeling even more confident, more secure, and more resilient than ever that we must protect the Jewish people at any cost.

On Wed. morning, I went to a 6 AM minyan and beat the aravot as customary on Hoshana Raba and I then took the bus to meet several friends in Tzfat for Simchat Torah. We rented an amazing apt. overlooking the mountains and the weather was awesome. I got my first taste of an Israeli sunset overlooking the beautiful mountains of Tzfat.



We spent the evening with the Breslovers in their beautiful new shul and learned that the custom of dancing with the Torah on Simchat Torah was actually started right there in Tzfat. Next day was spent dancing like a madman at Carlebach and the hakafot didn’t even end until after 3:30 PM.

I decided to observe the chag as all other Israeli’s do, so Yom Tov was only on Thursday. It was a little strange observing only one day, but I think I’ll get used to it. After the chag we drove to Tel Aviv where we spent the night and hung out on my buddy’s rooftop over looking the city. Even went to the beach and got my feet wet from the warm Mediterranean water. It’s amazing how warm the Mediterranean water is compared to Lake Michigan.

Friday was spent getting my first Holy Land haircut. Its not al it’s built up to be. I then traveled back to Efrat, listening to the news updates of the Taba bombings, and then prepared for Shabbat. It was a beautiful Shabbat with everybody feeling like the year is finally now beginning.

Now, I am preparing to check out an Ulpan which is beginning tomorrow morning at 8:15 in Alon Shvut in the Gush. If I decide to stick with this ulpan, my plan is to attend that in the mornings and then start learning in a Yeshiva in the Gush during the afternoons. I’ll keep you posted as to where I end up, but I’m feeling really driven to spend some serious time in this part of the country. My brother-in-law is putting me in touch with the head of security in Efrat and I hope to become a part-time guard as soon as possible.

Gotta get some sleep.

Peace

PS - THANKS TO ALL MY WONDERFUL FRIENDS WHO HELPED PACK ME UP AND MOVE ME OUT OF MY APARTMENT IN RECORD FASHION. YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE AND YOU ARE AWESOME! I LOVE YOU.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>